These Panasonic RP-HC500 Noise Canceling Headphones are designed to remove background sound which could interfere with your enjoyment when listening to music.
Upon testing they were found to be really good at this and effectively removed the sounds of aircraft and train travel. The headphones would also also eliminate the background sound experienced when living in a noisy dorm.
Overall Rating: (3.9 / 5)
The NC circuitry allows you to hear your music undisturbed at lower volume levels. As you are not having to drown out environmental sound by turning up the volume, this is good for preserving your hearing over time. The noise canceling can also be turned off via a switch for normal listening, thus preserving battery power when not required.
The driver units on these Panasonic Headphones are large and the ear-cups totally encompass (circumaural) the ear and rest directly against your head, they are padded and comfortable and only weigh 6oz, making prolonged listening possible, although they can get rather hot and sweaty when listening in warm environments.
Unlike several competitors, these headphones are supplied with a hard carrying case offering superior protection ensuring that they can survive knocks and bumps while travelling. Battery life is also good with 40 hours being achieved at times off of the single AAA battery supplied. All in all, a very good set of NC Headphones.
The sound quality is excellent due to the use of the best Neodymium drivers and the superior NC circuitry. I particularly liked the hard travel case, superb sound quality, and better than average battery life, and have no hesitation recommending that you purchase them.
- Provide 92% noise reduction – 22dB at 200Hz
- Great sound quality using speaker drivers made with Neodymium Magnets
- Noise cancelling can be turned off using the button provided
- Soft ear cushions and light weight provides superior comfort
- Hard protective carry case unlike some other brands
- Headphone type: Closed, dynamic
- Design: Premium ear cup over the ear noise canceling
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Plug: 6.3mm stereo
- Cord length: 1.5M
- Weight (approx): 6oz Battery type: DC 1.5V R03/AAA
- Battery life: Approx 40 Hours
- Driver unit: 40mm diameter
- Frequency response: 8 – 22000Hz
- Impedance: 32 Ohms
- Noise level: on/off switch on housing
- Sensitivity (db): 108dB/mW
- Hard case offers great protection
- Detachable cord means you can use without music to block out sound and be able to move around better
- Very comfortable
- Above average battery life
- Sometimes pops and crackles when turned on
- Sound quality not as good as the Bose QC15 but the price is much lower
What’s in the Box with the Headphones?
- Panasonic RP-HC500 NC headphones
- Hard carry case
- 1 x Battery (R03/AAA)
- Detachable cord
- 6.3mm stereo plug adapter
- Air plug adapter
Here’s what one satisfied owner had to say about these headphones
Several of my coworkers already owned the Bose QC2 and QC3 – I decided to get these since they were a third the price. After several side by side comparisons, it became obvious to all of us that these were simply the best at noise cancellation. They also have a sound quality on par with the Bose. (A.Bachrach)
Overall these Panasonic RP-HC500 NC headphones are great value for money and offer good sound quality. They are worth a look if you are looking for a cheaper model than the Bose QuietComfort 2 and QuietComfort 3.